Dacia is not a name that everyone knows.
That, however, is something that Dacia are looking to change and I can tell you now, they have some pretty big plans.
Not only are they are one of the first manufacturers to embrace online car sales with their Dacia Store, they are producing some very good cars for some very, very competitive prices (and have been for some time).
The new Dacia Duster was shown off at this year’s Frankfurt Motor Show (IAA) and – in our opinion – it could be a game-changer for the Renault-owned Romanian car manufacturer.
You can see by the pictures that the Duster looks good. Dacia have given the Duster an aesthetic overhaul both inside and out to create what is arguably a very handsome compact SUV. In summary the Duster now has:
- Double-optic headlights with daytime running lights
- Redesigned grille & front end with chrome detailing
- Roof bars with slatted supports
- Restyled rear end that includes chrome-coated tailpipes and 4WD lettering
- Redesigned dashboard with more intuitive switchgear
- New upholstery selection including leather seating
- Redesigned seats (with reinforced rear bench seat)
- A whole host of new accessories, packs, storage options & technology (Sat Nav is now available as an option)
- More interior cabin space and boot load capacity (475 litres) – in addition, the boot shape itself is a useful size (2.7 metres long with rear seats folded down)
- New safety equipment (including Electronic Stability Control and Emergency Brake Assist)
- A new engine in the range; a 4 cylinder TCe 125 1.2 litre direct-injection turbo powerhouse that offers improved economy / performance and emits just 140g/km Co2
- Improved soundproofing and overall vehicle refinement
The 2014 Dacia Duster isn’t actually expected to come out until early 2016, so there will be a bit of a wait. In the meantime, of course, the multi-award winning current model Duster is on sale and it is expected that a few of the 2014 model interior tweaks will make their way into the current model.
There are, as yet, no official updates as to the price of the new Duster, but we are sure that if Dacia have anything to do with it, they are bound to be affordable. You have to remember that the current model range starts at £8995 OTR and you can’t say fairer than that.
So; getting back to the headline – should the other manufacturers be worried? We think so, yes. The new model revisions should bring the Dacia Duster up to the sort of standard that we have come to expect from current compact SUVs.
In our minds, that could result in Dacia becoming more of a threat. As the Dacia brand is becoming a bit of a cool “anti-statement” manufacturer with somewhat of a cult following, it won’t be long before the others will have to take note.
Whether they will drop their prices, up their specifications or just ignore it, only time will tell. But if they ignore it, we feel, this could be at their peril.
News courtesy of the team at MotorMistress Limited
Note: As always, we will keep you posted but in the meantime, do get in touch if you are the proud owner of any Dacia model as we would love to hear about your ownership experiences.